Pages

Tuesday 4 January 2022

Optical Illusions: A Nano-Girl Experiment - SLJ 2021-2022

Explanation of Optical Illusions (From Nano Girl): 

Optical means to do with our eyes, and optical illusion is where our eyes see something that isn’t really there.

Cartoons are optical illusions. Traditional cartoons are made up from thousands of drawings that are shown so quickly that your brain thinks the drawings are moving. 

What I will be doing:

Another way you can do this is using the science of refraction which is where light bounces differently through water than it does through air. If you draw an arrow on a piece of paper and then look at it through a glass of water, it seems to change direction but it’s just a trick on our eyes.

I have decided to draw an arrow, this is how it turned out:


I drew an arrow to the right and as you can see it has become an arrow to the left!


This is my arrow before hand.


I found out that if you put it close enough to the glass, the illusion does not work.

What next?:

An arrow was a practice, so now I decided to draw a stick figure!
My Stick Figure is holding an orange so you can see whether it switches sides or not:


This is how it turned out! It worked :)






7 comments:

  1. Hi Kiarah!

    It's me Finau. Wow! Its so cool how the arrow turn different directions. Good job and doing this challenge. I did this challenge but I did a drawing instead. I was trying to do the refraction one but it didn't seem to work. How did you find this challenge? Amazing work!

    Finau

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Finau,
      Thank-you for the positive feed-back! I really enjoyed this challenge, it was fun and educational. Thanks again.
      Kiarah

      Delete
    2. Kia Ora

      It is fantastic to see all your amazing blog posts keep it up!! I look forward to seeing your other blog posts.

      Remember to submit your comments on other blogs to earn extra points. I have included the link here for more information on the commenting and points have a look you can submit your comments here

      Keep up the Super work I look forward to your next blog post!!!

      Ngā mihi,
      Quein

      Delete
    3. Hi Quein,
      Thank-you for the feed-back as always! I was just wondering if that also included reply’s to comments? Thanks again.
      Kiarah

      Delete
  2. Kia Ora Kiarah,

    My name is Zana and I am a blog commenter from the summer learning journey.

    I really enjoy these nano girl activities as I think doing science experiments are very fun.

    I think you introduced and explained this activity well,giving a step by step explanation of what you are doing and how the illusion works.

    It is great to see that you were able to complete the illusion and you did a great job with it. What other objects do you think would work with this illusion?

    Keep up the good work and I hope to see more of your posts during the Summer Learning Journey!!

    Ngā mihi nui,
    Zana Yates

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zana!
    I think these activities are fun too, I enjoy experimenting on different topics. Maybe something like a coin would work? That is a hard question to answer, but it would be fun to try different things! Thank-you for the comment.
    Kiarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia Ora Kiarah,
    How are you - I love that you did this experiment. Optical illusions are so much fun. I really loved how the ball was a different colour so it was obvious to see the illusion in action through the water.
    Great tricking of my brain!
    Nanogirl

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.