Pages

Wednesday 24 June 2020

Women in 1914

File:THE EMPLOYMENT OF WOMEN IN BRITAIN, 1914-1918 Q28304.jpg ...


What is life? I thought to myself as I walked to my new job. The men get to go to fight for our country, while us women have to take in their “duties”. Women's rights hasn’t been voted for yet, and I doubt it ever will. It is sad and men don’t care, some might, but it does not seem like it. On the other hand it is dangerous and you could get killed out there. So I guess this is the better choice, it was World War One after all.


I could smell the burnt coal walking in the fences of the coal mine. It was a horrible stench and it was so strong that I could taste it. Most of the workers here were ladies, but there were men too. Only a couple though. A lot of the people were sketchy and were from rough neighborhoods. I didn’t have the time nor the care to talk to them at all. This was one of the worst jobs and the only job I have ever had, going in I wanted to come out as soon as I could. The sound of gravel scrunched on my boots, I took off my coat and flipped it over the wood railing. I grabbed my shovel and started to dig.

As long as I was digging and doing my job propoley, I was sure to be paid money to look after my family. I had two children and a husband, but my husband wasn’t with us right now. He wasn’t even in the war, so it was only me and my two kids. I started to get emotional thinking about it, but I couldn't. I had to stay strong and finish work so I could see them again.
It was 20 minutes into digging and I had only got ¼ of a barrel. I was sweating and wanted to have a drink so badly, but water was limited and you could only have 1 cup of water between 3 hours in the mine. There were about 200 people after all. There would be more, but people were at war! It was hard because each person had to find more coal than usual.

10 hours had passed and I had had 3 cups of water by now. There was only 30 minutes left and I was so excited to get out of this place. 3 barrels of coal lying next to me on the ground! It was a relief knowing that I had gone over the average.

Now I have finished and you wouldn’t dream of how happy I was. I walked out of the fences and was now going to look for my children. I was pretty sure they were at home and were watching tv. What a long, but heart feeling day. I was so ecstatic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.