Pages

Thursday 16 December 2021

Something that will fly: A Nano-Girl experiment - SLJ 2021-2022

The First Challenge that started off the SLJ was a Nano Girl experiment. I unfortunately missed this, and only saw it today. So I decided to do it! For my flying thing I chose a paper ball. The reason why is because it is simple and easy to work with, if it broke I could make another. This was super fun and I asked and answered different types of questions. Can't wait for another one of these challenges! Make sure to check out the video below. Enjoy :)


 4 Forces: 

Gravity is the force that pulls down.

Lift is the force used to get things up and to keep a plane up in the air, the air flows underneath the wings.

Thrust is the force of moving things forward such as a plane: engine moves it forward.

Drag is the force that slows things down, create a pointy end to reduce drag.

Paper Ball:

1 Piece of Paper ball - 11 of my own Feet (Size 10) 

2 Piece of Paper ball - 9 of my own Feet (Size 10)

What did I notice? : I noticed that the smaller ball went further (same thrust for each ball).

Why did this happen? : I think this happened because of the weight difference. 

What would I change? : I would make the ball more compressed, and add a bit more thrust into the throw.




4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malo e lelei Kiarah,

      It's me Finau. Cool experiment! I liked how you explained the 4 forces of flight. I also enjoyed the video of you flying your paper ball. I also did this challenge and I made a paper plane. Keep up the amazing work!

      Finau:)

      Delete
  2. Mōrena Kiarah,

    It’s Charlotte here, a blog commenter for Manaiakalani. Nice work completing the Nanogirl activity!

    I think it is awesome how you pushed yourself further and asked and answered some questions yourself! I was very impressed about how well you were able to explain the different forces in a way that makes it easy for your blog readers to understand! Did you know much about forces before completing this task?

    I wonder if there are any other types of flying things you can make out of paper that would fly further - this would be a cool experiment. For example, if your made a paper plane, would it fly further than your paper ball? Why or why not?

    Ngā Mihi Nui
    Charlotte Visser
    Summer Learning Journey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Kiarah,
    I am Angel and I am very impressed with your work!
    It looks like your plane flew right across the room!
    Anyways thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.