Pages

Sunday 2 January 2022

(Kick Start) Build a Boat - SLJ 2021-2022

 One of the tasks this week was to create a boat and see if it would float or sink. These are photo's of my boat, and if it floated or sank. Enjoy:)


Boat:


I used cardboard tubes for the base of my boat, paper and ice-block sticks for the sail, and then I decorated it.


Float or Sink?:
SINK!
My boat sank, the question is why?


I think my boat sank because the paper tubes had no air trapped inside, it was just a hole straight through. That meant that the water was able to get inside my boat. 

What could I do better?:
I think I could of twisted my sail around, so the wind would push it to the side instead of into the water.

This was a super fun activity, I enjoyed experimenting with all of the different materials! Try it out.


4 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Kiarah,

    My name is Zana and I am a blog commenter from the summer learning journey.

    I really enjoyed this activity as I used to love making boats with my brother and racing them down the creek!

    I think your boat looks awesome with all the decorations you have added and it is great to see you using some recycled materials. It is also great that you were able to identify why your boat didn't float and what you could do to improve it. I think the cardboard may have sunk because it soaks up the water making it to heavy to float.

    What did you enjoy about this activity and what did you find challenging?

    Keep up the good work and I hope to see more of your posts during the Summer Learning Journey!!

    Ngā mihi nui,
    Zana Yates

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Zana,
    It is awesome that you got to race boats down the creek, I would love to try that! I tried to decorate it nicely, but not put to much weight on it. I enjoyed that my mind got to run free, and think about different things. Something that was challenging was the fact that I had to think about where the materials would go, and what they would do for my boat. Thank-you for another great comment!
    Kiarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kiarah,

      The weight of the materials is definitely one to worry about when designing a boat but you seem to have done it well!

      Even racing the boats in a pool or a bathtub may be fun but a bit harder without a stream and wind to help them move!

      -Zana

      Delete
  3. Kia Ora Kiarah,
    Your boat is so beautiful! Well done on problem solving too, I think you are correct about it sinking because of the holes - also have a think about waterproof materials compared to absorbent materials.
    I love seeing you learning all about engineering!
    Nanogirl

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.